Updated Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby Released
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 20:19:00 -0700
The WFTDA has released a new version of the Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby, incorporating clarifications and minor revisions to the rules update taking effect in January 2013.
Teams may begin playing under the new rules immediately. All sanctioned bouts must be played under the revised rule set starting July 1, 2013.
The changes, which were approved by WFTDA member leagues, focused on adjustments that could be made with minimal disruption to the current rule set and season. Substantive changes will be held until the next major rules revision, targeted for January 1, 2014, to allow time for thorough review and testing.
Changes include stricter penalties governing contact to the head to improve athlete safety; adjustments to Multi-Player Block penalties; a new Forearms/Hands penalty for using an opponent to make a block; and clarifications and additions to the Delay of Game penalty that was added in the January 1 rules update.
WFTDA Restructures its Rules Committee
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 18:38:00 -0700
To better meet the needs of the organization and support further development of the sport of flat track roller derby, the WFTDA is undertaking the first major restructuring of its Rules Committee.
The new Rules Committee will have two primary branches, the Theory Panel and Application Panel, and will also have specialized support positions to help accommodate the committee’s workload.
In addition, the committee will, for the first time, include non-voting members representing the interests of other users of WFTDA rules, the Men’s Roller Derby Association and junior roller derby.
“We recognize that our rules are widely used outside of our member leagues, as the most-used flat track roller derby rule set. That is why we began using gender-neutral pronouns in the Jan. 1, 2013 rules, for example. We are extending that to bring representation from men’s and junior roller derby to our panel,” Kuhn said.
To learn more about the new Rules Committee structure and its members, read the full press release: WFTDA Restructures Rules Committee
WFTDA Opens Bidding Process For 2014 Playoff and Championship Tournaments
Fri, 07 Jun 2013 16:42:00 -0700
The Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) is seeking venues or entities that are interested in partnering with us to host the 2014 WFTDA Playoffs and Championships. There are currently seven opportunities to host WFTDA Tournaments.
- Division 2 Playoffs host applications are being considered for two events in mid-August to early September.
- Division 1 Playoffs host applications are being considered for four events in September to early October.
- Championships host applications are being considered for one event in early November.
The top three teams from each of four Division 1 Playoffs (12 teams total) will advance to the WFTDA Championships and compete for roller derby’s top honor, The Hydra. Additionally, the top team from each of two Division 2 Playoffs will be invited to play for the title of Division 2 Champion and the second place team from each Division 2 playoff will play for Third Place.
The WFTDA Playoffs and Championships are held in venues ranging from sports arenas to convention centers that can accommodate between 2,000 to 8,000 spectators, depending on the event. An ideal venue has a competition track, warm-up track, tiered seating, multiple dressing rooms, and space for a vendor area. The skating surface must be suitable, smooth, flat, and obstruction-free (no pillars) with at least a 110 feet by 85 feet surface for the competition track.
Although bids are accepted from non-WFTDA organizations and leagues, it takes a tremendous amount of volunteer hours to put these tournaments on. Support from a local host WFTDA league is a key part of any bid.
The deadline for applications is July 3, 2013.
For questions or to request the application documents, contact WFTDA Tournament Director Alisha Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WFTDA Welcomes First Full Member Leagues in Asia and South America
Thu, 06 Jun 2013 19:01:00 -0700
The WFTDA is excited to extend full membership status to 22 additional leagues today, following their successful completion of the WFTDA Apprentice Program. The new Class C members can now enjoy the benefits of full WFTDA membership, including competing in sanctioned games and being eligible for rankings.
This group includes two leagues in Japan and one in Columbia, the first leagues from Asia and South America to achieve full member status. The WFTDA already has full member leagues in North America, Europe and Australia.
- Assault City Roller Derby, of Syracuse, New York, USA
- Brandywine Roller Girls, of Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA
- Cedar Valley Derby Divas, of Waverly, Iowa, USA
- Enid Roller Girls, of Enid, Oklahoma, USA
- Fort Myers Derby Girls, of Fort Myers, Florida, USA
- Greensboro Roller Derby, of Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
- Greenville Derby Dames, of Greenville, South Carolina, USA
- Harbor City Roller Dames, of Duluth, Minnesota, USA
- Kokeshi Roller Dolls, of Okinawa, Japan
- Lansing Derby Vixens, of Lansing, Michigan, USA
- Mid-States Sisters of Skate, of Stevens Point, Wisconsin, USA
- Mother State Roller Derby, of Richmond, Virginia, USA
- Paris Rollergirls, of Paris, France
- Rock n Roller Queens, of Bogota, Colombia
- Sheffield Steel Rollergirls, of Sheffield, United Kingdom
- Sun State Roller Girls, of Browns Plains, Australia
- Tiger Bay Brawlers, of Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
- Tokyo Roller Girls, of Tokyo, Japan
- Ventura County Derby Darlins, of Ventura, California, USA
- Vette City Roller Derby, of Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA
- West Coast Derby Knockouts, of Ventura, California, USA
In addition, the WFTDA recently extended Class C membership benefits to Roughneck Roller Derby, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, a new organization created by former members of Green Country Roller Derby. Green Country was a former WFTDA member league that was in good standing with the WFTDA when it disbanded its business operations.
The WFTDA now has 198 member leagues and 98 apprentice leagues.
WFTDA Releases April 30 Rankings
Mon, 20 May 2013 18:00:00 -0700
The latest team rankings from the WFTDA Rankings Calculator were released today. This release incorporates the results of WFTDA-sanctioned games played through April 30, 2013, and reflects some shifts in team as the women's flat track roller derby season heats up.
The Rankings Calculator uses an algorithm to rank teams based on game scores. The rankings are confirmed by WFTDA Member League vote prior to public release.
The next rankings release will occur in mid-July and will include games played through June 30. Those rankings will be used to determine seeding for the Division I and II Playoffs. Learn more about WFTDA Divisions.
See: Current Rankings